Parents searching for the best autism treatment in bangalore for their children will know that Speech Therapy is one of the first recommended courses of action. Since children with Autism often find it difficult to communicate and interact in social situations, Speech Therapy can help them enhance their communication skills and process social cues. It is essential to know that every child with Autism has different needs and will respond to different kinds of therapy.
Autism, or Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), refers to a range of neurodevelopmental disorders that affect social, behavioral, and communicative abilities. People with Autism tend to have difficulties interacting with their environment and other people and often display impaired cognitive skills as well. While there is no cure, therapy helps them lead fulfilling lives that include social interactions, work relations, and even close emotional relationships.
Benefits of speech therapy for children with Autism
To help children with Autism, Speech therapists work with parents, caregivers, teachers, and other professionals to find appropriate ways for them to communicate effectively. From using picture boards to convey concepts to composing songs that match the rhythm of sentences, there are multiple techniques that therapists may use. In addition to one-on-one therapy, moreover, speech therapists may engage the child in group therapy to help them practice better social interaction.
Speech Therapy has multiple benefits for children with Autism, including:
- Better articulation: Speech Therapy is invaluable for children who may be struggling with even the basics of language and expression. Lip exercises, pronunciation practice, and even facial massages can help them articulate words in a better manner. In addition to improving skills required for speaking intelligibly, speech therapists can also help children with Autism use expressive intonations to communicate better.
- Improved understanding of non-verbal cues: Children with Autism who take speech therapy regularly are better able to understand cues like facial expressions, nods, eye contact, posture, and other things that often reflect what someone else is feeling.
- Communication without prompts: Speech Therapy can help children with Autism understand the circumstances and the scenarios where they need to say things without being prompted. For instance, therapy can teach them to say ‘good morning’ or ‘good afternoon’ depending on when they are meeting an individual, or even to ask for anything that they might need such as permission to go to the restroom.
- Self-regulation: Just knowing what to say when can be hard for children with Autism. Even knowing when not to say something can be as much of a challenge. Speech Therapy can guide children through various social codes of conduct such as not criticizing someone to their face or not interrupting when someone else is speaking.
- Exchange of ideas: Children with Autism often find it hard to think creatively and express their thoughts. Speech Therapy can help them participate better in situations that call for the exchange of ideas, such as discussing with other children what game to play next.
- Better conversation: With regular Speech Therapy, children with Autism can overcome their inherent tendency to avoid or rebel against social interactions. As they learn how to participate in conversations, they can start enjoying the process of meeting people and talking to them about different things. The more successful conversations they have, the more confident they become and the likelier they will be to seek out social relations.
When to start Speech therapy
Typically, Autism Spectrum Disorder will manifest in your child before the age of three. You will also notice any language delays or abnormalities before eighteen months. The right time to start Speech Therapy is after your child’s sensory responses are regulated. Therefore, it should ideally begin only after they have received Occupational Therapy as that will help reveal greater results in their sensory integration system.
While Autism may make it harder for your child to fit in, early identification and availing of the Best Autism Treatment in Bangalore will help them develop the social skills they need to enjoy a fulfilling life. Be sure to ask the therapist any questions you may have about their techniques and to monitor your child’s progress so that you know they are receiving the best care possible.